Sunday, August 05, 2007

Ms. Read - One Utama

It has been a while since I last posted here. Work commitment has taken most of my time, and I hardly visit any food place that's even considered blog worthy in recent times. That sounds like a good excuse don't you think? First post after such a long time, I have the chance to try Ms. Read at One Utama Shopping Centre (New Wing) last night with a group of friends.

As usual, customer service is my priority in dining. We get a warmth greeting upon entering the eatery. The girl is kind enough to inquire whether we wanted to be in smoking or non smoking, which we chose the later (I ain't a smoker, but most of my friends are). We were told to walk out the glass door and there will be people that attend to us.

We chosen a table at the corner, where they have the sofa like seating on one side, accompanied by 2 steel chair. Environment was alright, the kind of rattan inspired settings - ratting windows blind served as the roof decoration while the sofa and low lounge were made of the same material, slightly Zen-ish.

The waiter that attend to our table was named Joe (not a made up name, I wouldn't be bothered). Why I'm writing with such a way already? We get sucked up service, again! So, this Joe guy came over our table - no greetings or smile, nothing in that nature. Put down the menu for each of us and walked away. We're feeling slightly belittled, trying to ignore his f**ked up manners, go on to choose our meal. To cheer you guys up a little while I continue to moaned on another of my bad dining experiences, here's the food we ordered:


Death by Iced Chocolate (RM 9.90) - It was just OK. Nothing that kills me. A blend of normal chocolate powder in milk served with Vanilla Ice Cream and a heavy dope of melted dark chocolate sauce at the bottom. Tends to get slightly sweet at the end.


Iced Cappuccino (RM 9.90) - shall I say more? Don't think so.


Wild Mushroom Soup (RM 9.90) - HUGE portion! Yes, the bowl is huge. We end up sharing this bowl and I got to tell you that the soup is very thick and full of flavor. I loved mushroom soup and I can said this one does not let me down. It tends to get very salty at last, just share this soup if you decided to order as eating this on your own could caused severe blood pressure increment (I'm just kidding).


Spicy Seafood Spaghetti (RM 21.90) - Spaghetti tossed in spicy olive oil and seafood mixture of shrimps, squids and mussels, sprinkled with coarsely chopped fresh parsley leaves on top. Mr. D goes on to complain throughout the meal of his tasteless spaghetti, it doesn't taste anything for him, neither does it salty or spicy. Poor guy that keep on picking up the salt & pepper grinder. Get the idea? Tasteless.


Shepherds Pie (RM 17.90) - Minced Beef in Tomato Sauce, Oven Baked with Mashed Potato on top served with coral leaves salad in cream mustard sauce. Good portion, it may looked small but it's fulfilling. Despite the fact that the minced beef patty below tasted almost like those you find in lasagna, it is still a tasty item. Loved the cream mustard sauce in the salads. It gives a nice combinations of vinegar, mustard and slightly sweet lingerie taste.


Duck Confitt Spaghetti (RM 21.90) - No, don't mistaken this as the previous one. I know they looked alike, but believe me, it's Duck Confitt. I'm not exactly sure what it is but well, I loved duck. So there you go, another spaghetti. This one tasted just like the one earlier. I'm lucky that this one came in a mixture of sun dried tomatoes and duck meat in olive oil. The tomatoes lend a little of the sour bits to give the dish a little appeal, failure to which this is just as bland as what Mr. D had. Just an OK dish again.


Classic Beef Lasagna (RM 17.90) - Like the dish name suggest itself, it's pretty much self explanatory. I tasted better lasagna before, so this one get just an OK from me. Try it for yourself and see if you agree with me.

(The bitching continues...)
Joe came back to our table, standing there - again, not smiling or any greetings. Just stand and look at us, signifying he wanted to take order. See, I'm saying "signifying". This freak just doesn't bother to greet his customers! I'm already at my furious level, still trying hard to contained myself while looking at his eyes throughout his presence at our table. Still, I didn't managed to cracked his conscious that he's serving an angry customer already. Incredible service we had in Malaysia, don't you guys think?

Once he's done with his order, my friends already sensed my furiousness and suggest that we just let him alone. "Let's not let that kind of jerk that doesn't get laid last night to spoiled the night". And you're safe - you son of a bitch.

I guess we, Malaysian are too kind and tolerate with such low level of customer service and such people goes on to demonstrate their frustration at work towards their customers. This is definitely unacceptable and most of the time, I'll do a complain directly to the Manager, doesn't matter if it works or not. I'm paying 10% customer service and exorbitant (maybe not that exaggerating, but still..) price for comfort food, I deserved better customer service.

Moral of the story:
Don't think I'll go to Ms. Read again. On another note, my friend told me that his friend had the same kind of experience that we had tonight. Go figure yourself alright mate?

No comments: